Heating and cooling appliances are usually the ones that make our electric bill quite steep, so looking for ways on how to avoid this is a must. One of the most effective techniques to save more electricity is investing in the best solar refrigerator.
However, not everyone is knowledgeable about what solar refrigerators are for and how they function. Indeed, many people are still clueless about what valuable features a solar-powered refrigerator should have. That said, it’s wise to unveil a few of the most vital factors that you should consider before getting a solar fridge for your home.
- Energy consumption: When picking a solar refrigerator, note that the amount of power it calls for corresponds to its size. A movable solar panel can commonly run smaller and portable solar-operated fridges. Meanwhile, larger solar fridges typically require a more intricate system.
- When getting a larger solar refrigerator, find the one with a solar insulation map and determine the number of daylight hours you acquire every day during the entire year.
- Energy efficiency: Solar refrigerators are energy-efficient in high temperatures since they don’t utilize electricity, and they primarily rely on solar energy, day or night.
- Nonetheless, suppose you’re residing in a location with a colder climate and less sunlight exposure. In that case, a low-power consumption solar fridge is recommended because it remains powered for an extended period.
- In general, solar experts suggest getting a solar fridge version that does not quickly lose a significant amount of power, day or night.
- Portability: A portable solar refrigerator allows you to effortlessly set up and disassemble the unit without using special tools. Likewise, models with built-in handles are great options as they allow easy transport. When buying one, be sure to compare the dimensions and weights gingerly.
There are other essential solar fridges’ features and functions for you to inspect. To help you with the selection process, please go through some buying tips and an extensive list of the chart-topping solar fridges below.
Table of Contents
- Top 12 Solar Refrigerator Reviews
- 1. LiONCooler X50A Solar Fridge Freezer
- 2. Alpicool C15 Portable Refrigerator (16 Quart)
- 3. ICECO VL60 Dual Zone Portable Refrigerator
- 4. Dometic CFX75DZW Electric Powered Cooler
- 5. Whynter FM-45G Portable Refrigerator
- 6. ICECO JP40 Portable Refrigerator
- 7. F40C4TMP Portable Refrigerator 20 Quart
- 8. Cooluli Skincare Mini Fridge
- 9. Avanti RA7316PST 2-Door Refrigerator
- 10. ACOPOWER P15 Portable Fridge Freezer
- 11. Kalamera 25-quart Portable Refrigerator
- 12. Dometic CFX3 Refrigerator and Freezer
- What to Look for When Buying Solar Refrigerators
- How Does the Solar Fridge Work
- What Is the Most Energy-efficient Fridge for Solar Power
- Can a 100-watt Solar Panel Run a Refrigerator
- Safety Measures for Using Solar Refrigerators
Top 12 Solar Refrigerator Reviews
1. LiONCooler X50A Solar Fridge Freezer
I consider this solar powered refrigerator freezer one of the best models sold these days. What sets it apart from other versions is its design with innovative technology, and I can control it via Bluetooth app, so ease and convenience of use is guaranteed.
This app and the digital LCD display make it simpler for me to modify the cooler’s temperature whenever there’s a change in outdoor temperature.
What’s more, this energy-efficient version allows me to choose from three different charging modes: 12V DC in my car, AC, or solar panels. Notably, as long as it’s plugged into a power source, I don’t have to worry about depleting my battery. It is also equipped with an easy to charge and high-quality removable battery.
Indeed, I find it a piece of valuable equipment to have since it already works as a freezer and a cooler. With a brand compressor, this unit can freeze up to -4 F. It can ensure faster cooling performance within 20 minutes to reach 32°F, and maintain the temperature with its fluoride-free and thicker insulation.
Additionally, the large wheels, handy trolley, and telescopic handle with an easy-to-lift lid are extra features that make this freezer a practical go-to for outdoor adventure enthusiasts and travelers.
- Has Bluetooth app and the digital LCD to monitor and control temperatures
- Enables 3 charging options: 12V DC in my car, AC, or solar panels
- Comes with removable batteries
- A brand compressor to freeze up to -4F (freezer)
- Cools quickly to 32°F in 20 mins and maintains with Fluoride-free insulation
- Large wheels and telescoping handle for transportation
- Higher price than some standard solar fridges
2. Alpicool C15 Portable Refrigerator (16 Quart)
For those planning to buy a portable solar refrigerator that is excellent for different applications, this model is one of the best choices.
I find it useful for fishing, traveling, and enjoying outdoor activities with my family or friends. It comes with ample space (16 quart)to store approximately 20 cans of my favorite soda and other food items.
Both a refrigerator and a freezer, this unit operates well with a small solar system; it also freezes without ice, making it a more impressive choice. It’s lightweight, yet with such a solid plastic cóntruction, and I can carry it with me whenever and wherever I’d like to unwind.
It’s worth sharing that this brand’s solar fridge models are famous for their exceptional performance and battery efficiency, making them wise investments.
This portable solar cooler also features a dependable sealing property build, and it is made with high-density and thick insulation. As a result, I can have a reliable and power-saving solar fridge that can sustain satisfying cooling performance wherever my travels take me.
More importantly, this solar freezer shields my car battery with its three distinct levels of battery protection, so I don’t have to worry about battery depletion.
- Portable, ideal for different applications, features sufficient storage capacity
- Functions as a fridge and freezer and operates well with a small solar system
- Lightweight, solid overall build, easy to transport
- High-density & thick insulation
- Has dependable sealing property build, gilt-edge car battery protection
- Produces strange smell at first use
3. ICECO VL60 Dual Zone Portable Refrigerator
This solar powered refrigerator features a SECOP compressor that is purposely to satisfy the user’s refrigeration or freezing requirements, and its cooling capacity ranges from 0°F to 50°F.
Its independent control and dual-zone features allow me to utilize both freezers, fridges, or a fridge & freezer. Alternatively, if I’d like to save more energy, I can switch off one zone to do so.
This solar-operated refrigerator is ideal for home and car applications, and each handy fridge is outfitted with an AC cable and a DC cord. The independent 110-240-volt AC and 12-volt/24-volt DC output port impede intricate wire build-up, so it’s safer and cleaner to use.
Also, the compact, portable and easy-to-use designs and the 60-liter capacity of this model make it a more practical investment for my travel and outdoor adventures.
What makes this item one of the most top-rated options is its ability to ensure excellent insulation conditions and more energy efficiency. It comes with a couple of wire baskets that I can remove easily, making emptying and restocking the refrigerator easier; hence, my fridge is cleaner and more organized.
This solar-powered refrigerator also features built-in LED lights and three-level car battery protection.
- SECOP compressor, independent control, and dual-zone
- Ideal for home and car applications, easy-to-use design, compact and portable
- Designed with 60 liters capacity, built-in LED lights, and 3-level car battery protection
- Can ensure excellent insulation conditions and energy efficiency
- Features two easy-to-remove wire baskets for easy emptying and restocking process
- Sold at a premium price
4. Dometic CFX75DZW Electric Powered Cooler
Nowadays, plenty of off grid refrigerator options are designed with features sufficing various types of vehicles and off-road adventures. This electric-operated fridge is a good option with distinguished functions, compared to other alternatives.
I can charge small electronic gadgets with it, and it comes with removable wire baskets with dividers that keep my food items properly stored and organized. The two separate compartments design allows cooling and freezing various food items.
The three-stage battery protection system switches the device off to avert a depleted car starter battery and enhance the car’s battery performance. I can safely connect it using 12 or 24-volt cable connections, and its solid overall build seems built to last.
The other leading-edge feature includes a powerful compressor cooling technology that can promise a dependable and impressive cooling performance even under rugged conditions.
I also find its energy-saving LED interior light an excellent addition that makes this fridge a fantastic device. Having a lot of storage space whenever I go on my off-road adventures offers me comfort and peace of mind.
- Electric-powered for various vehicles and all-terrain adventures
- Charges small gadgets with 3-stage battery protection system
- Has removable wire baskets with dividers and ample space
- 12 or 24V cable connections,
- Robust overall build with separate compartments for freezing and cooling
- A powerful compressor cooling technology and energy-saving LED interior light
- Slightly bulkier than expected
5. Whynter FM-45G Portable Refrigerator
This 45-quart solar refrigerator can accommodate 60 cans of beer or soda; it’s designed with a LED temperature display and temperature range adjustment.
I’m impressed by its fast freeze function that can quickly cool to -8°F. Designed as ETL approved, it’s safe and crafted with insulated walls and lid and includes a 10-ft. DC power cord and 8-ft. AC power cord in the kit.
It can also notify me when the power is low with the low power indicator. Also, the fridge can operate even when it’s tilted at a 30-degree angle. It contains two removable wire baskets and is built with a sturdy powder-coated steel casing. It’s useful for homes and cars, and RVs, especially for exploring the outdoors.
Operating as a refrigerator and freezer, I can plug in this device using DC and AC power. The stainless steel side handles offer more convenience, and the drain plug makes it effortless for me to handle the cleaning task.
The cooling and freezing modes are great features that help keep my foods fresh and safe to eat while I’m touring.
- Adjustable temperature range, fast freeze function, LED temperature display
- 45 quarts for storage to accommodate 60 cans
- ETL approved with insulated walls and lid
- Power low indicator, two removable wire baskets, durable powder-coated steel casing
- Stainless steel side handles features a drain plug for a quick cleaning
- Operates as a freezer and a fridge charged through included DC and AC power cord
- 25 x 16.5 x 20.5-inch dimensions might be too big for some vehicles
6. ICECO JP40 Portable Refrigerator
This solar powered cooler is built with max and ECO modes. The max mode intensifies the compressor speed to offer faster “cool down” times, while the ECO mode minimizes the compressor speed to heighten operational efficiencies.
Such a solar fridge also contains an insulated protective cover and allows users to adjust the temperature range from -7℉ to 50℉. This unit’s rugged and overall heavy-duty build can guarantee excellent performance amidst rugged terrain, and it can even keep operating under 40-degrees.
It features a SECOP compressor that helps save more energy, and I can even plug in this device using both AC/DC powers. Best of all, this device is ideal for safeguarding a vehicle’s battery as it helps regulate the temperature and save more energy in the process.
Meanwhile, the LED light allows me to access my stored food in low-light conditions easily. Also, this refrigerator’s two handles and removable wire basket design make it more portable and convenient for users.
- Max and ECO modes, allows temperature adjustment from -7℉ to 50℉
- Features an insulated protective cover
- Equipped with SECOP compressor, and operates with both AC/DC power
- Has LED light and digital screen control
- 40-liter capacity with heavy-duty design and can ensure 40° operation
- Has two handles and removable wire basket
- Generates slight noise
7. F40C4TMP Portable Refrigerator 20 Quart
This off grid solar refrigerator is advantageous for a wide range of applications, and it is ideal for different types of vehicles, homes, outdoor tours, and activities.
Featuring a robust compressor and dual cooling options, users can enjoy reliable cooling and freezing performance, keeping various food items cool and fresh. In 30 minutes, its cooling temperature reaches 32℉, and in an hour, its freezing temperature can reach -7.6℉. Likewise, users can select from the ECO and max modes to suit the preferred cooling modes.
Ensuring exceptional temperature control makes this device one of the most renowned models, not to mention its multifunctional design allows high/med/low-level battery protection to prevent battery depletion.
It also features a durable magnetic door that prevents cold air leakage and ensures excellent sealing performance. On the other hand, the LED display panel helps users set the temperature in a densely illuminated atmosphere quickly.
Unlike other solar powered fridges, this model does not generate irking noise when running. Since it features rock-solid construction, I consider it a dependable buddy for touring rugged terrains, camping, and exploring the wild.
It’s compact, portable, and easy to transport, so for sure, I won’t have a hard time carrying it with me on my outdoor explorations.
- Ideal for a wide range of uses, features robust compressor and dual cooling options
- Reaches 32℉ nin 30 mins, -7.6℉ in an hour
- Guarantees exceptional temperature control
- Multifunctional design, durable magnetic door, LED display panel
- Produces less noise, high/med/low-level battery protection, for exploring bumpy roads
- Compact, portable, and no sweat to transport
- Not very responsive touch buttons on the top panel
8. Cooluli Skincare Mini Fridge
This energy efficient mini fridge is one of the most affordable yet functional investments for buyers who have lots of stuff to keep cool or warm, especially during travels.
It works as a thermo-electric warmer and cooler, and it’s best for dorms, office desks, and cars. It’s undoubtedly helpful in storing my food and drinks, medications, breast milk, beauty, and skincare items.
Featuring unique and energy-saving semiconductor operation, this mini fridge is specially designed using cutting-edge technology. It’s a cost-effective purchase since I can rely on it for several different uses and purposes.
Unlike other solar devices, this model does not create disturbing noise, and I can operate it with its exclusive USB option. Also, the versatile unit is compatible with a 110 – 120-volt outlet.
I can use the fridge anywhere and anytime since it’s lightweight, convenient, and easy to transport, so it’s not a burden to have around at all.
- Thermo-electric warmer and cooler, recommended for dorms, office desks, and cars
- Store food and drinks, medications, and breast milk, beauty and skincare items
- Unique and energy-saving semiconductor operation, great for multiple uses
- Designed with an exclusive USB option and operates silently
- Compatible with a 110 – 120-volt outlet.
- Lightweight, easy to transport, and convenient option
- Does not come with a lock
9. Avanti RA7316PST 2-Door Refrigerator
Buyers looking for a solar system refrigerator that perfectly fits a small apartment will find this unit worth a shot.
It is Energy Star certified, making it one of the most cost-effective choices available today. Both fridge and freezer doors are reversible, and I love the appealing interior finish and glass shelves that I can easily adjust to different levels.
This solar refrigerator is designed with a manual thermostat to set the temperature in a less complicated manual temperature control.
I also like this fridge’s interior lighting; the radiant incandescent bulb is perfectly placed, so it instantly lights up all the items in my refrigerator. It features a sleek and compact design, so buyers residing in a limited space will find this unit convenient.
The crisper drawers are helpful when storing fresh fruits and veggies, and the bottom bin provides sufficient space where I could store 2-liter bottles.
Another thing I love is that this solar refrigerator is straightforward to operate; it’s designed with leveling legs and includes an ice cube tray. Please note that this device requires proper ventilation so that it can maintain cold temperatures.
- Ideal option for a small apartment and Energy Star certified
- Fridge and freezer doors are reversible,
- Has an appealing interior finish, and glass shelves
- Designed with a manual thermostat, interior lighting, sleek and compact design
- The crisper drawers are perfect for storing fresh fruits and veggies.
- Easy to operate and built with a bottom bin
- The freezer might be small (1 cubic feet)
10. ACOPOWER P15 Portable Fridge Freezer
Outdoor adventure enthusiasts searching for a premium quality solar fridge for camping can give this unit a try because it’s a space saver and functions as a cooler or freezer.
It operates quietly and comes with convenient handles on both sides to make it more portable. It also allows users to adjust the temperature control as needed or preferred and is built with a vibration-resistant design to safeguard it while 4WDing.
This low wattage fridge freezer operates well with a solar system, 110 to 240-volt AC, and 12/24-volt DC; it’s more energy-efficient as it merely uses roughly 45-watts of energy.
The freezer is designed with a 15-liter capacity; the unit features fluoride-free insulation and a digital control panel that helps users regulate the temperature and settings. It’s worth noting that this unit is top-rated for home, outdoor activities, and 4WDing applications.
In addition, this AC-powered fridge is lightweight and great for facilitating more mobility, especially for outdoor activities. More importantly, it can deliver an efficient and convenient power supply and allows hikers and frequent travelers to enjoy cool drinks and fresh foods while driving or camping.
- Space-saver with 16-quart capacity
- Adjustable temperature control and works a cooler or freezer
- Vibration resistant design, convenient handles on both sides, noise-free operation
- Operates well with a solar system, 110 to 240-volt AC and 12/24-volt DC
- Features a digital control panel, fluoride-free insulation, 15-liter capacity freezer
- Excellent for home, outdoor activities, and 4W driving
- Might not be efficient operating in warmer weather conditions
11. Kalamera 25-quart Portable Refrigerator
Similar to the EcoSolarCool solar refrigerator, this model manufactured by Kalamera features eye-catching attributes that would undoubtedly lure adventure-seekers and travelers.
It’s for keeping food and drinks fresh and cool, ideal for different applications, and its compact design is ideal as a travel companion. Furthermore, it’s not irritating to the ears when it begins operating; it features excellent insulation properties and ensures quick-cooling functions.
This space-saving mini-refrigerator primarily promotes energy efficiency; its temperature memory function recognizes the latest set temperature if it’s switched off; hence, it’s unnecessary to re-set the temperature.
This unit’s valuable features include the battery protection system, electronic temperature control, and LED display. It also features dual-zone storage and allows camping and hiking enthusiasts to enjoy 25-quart capacity storage.
Buyers who like to keep meat, cheese, veggies, snacks, and fruits fresh and safe while enjoying the outdoors will benefit more from this camping fridge.
It also allows outdoor adventure seekers to power the unit using a wall outlet or cigarette lighter and does a great job of maintaining its content at the ideal temperature.
- Keeps food items fresh and cool, ideal for multipurpose use,
- A compact and dependable travel companion
- Quiet operation, quick-cooling fridge, excellent insulation
- Low-energy consumption and temperature memory function
- Battery protection system, digital thermostat, LED display
- Space-saving, dual-zone storage, and 25-quart portable refrigerator
- No lighting available in the unit’s cooling compartment
12. Dometic CFX3 Refrigerator and Freezer
Investing in a direct drive solar refrigerator can be costly; fortunately, buyers can revel in more benefits if they pick the suitable model according to their requirements.
This unit works as a freezer and refrigerator; features a 3-stage battery protection system and a high-resolution color display that’s simple to read, allowing smooth monitoring and control of cooler performance.
And, it allows users to regulate the temperature using the smartphone app effortlessly. This Dometic fridge comes with a robust VMSO3 compressor cooling technology to freeze to –7 °F and refrigerate various food items more efficiently.
As for durability, this refrigerator appears ideal for long-lasting use, as seen in its solid yet lightweight ExoFrame build. It features a solid and sturdy polypropylene case with aluminum handles that allow more portability. Its expensive price tag is reasonable considering such stellar attributes.
Campers and travelers can operate this freezer using 12/24-volt DC and 100 to 240-Volt AC powers. Apart from these, this fridge contains a water drain plug, distinctive lid design, and USB port charging option that ensures more convenience for its users.
- 3-stage battery protection system
- Has Bluetooth or Wi-Fi temperature control app, high-resolution color display
- Robust VMSO3 compressor cooling technology
- Can operate with 12/24-volt DC and 100 to 240-Volt AC powers
- Comes with a water drain plug, distinctive lid design, USB port charging option
- Sturdy polypropylene case, aluminum handles, a lightweight ExoFrame build
- The 12-volt cable might be a bit short for some situations.
What to Look for When Buying Solar Refrigerators
Admit it or not, many of us tend to shop impulsively, and we are merely carried away by the outer appearance or design of a product. While it’s perfectly okay to like solar refrigerators and freezers with appealing designs, you shouldn’t miss the valuable features to ensure satisfying performance.
In line with this, taking a closer look at the following buying guides can help you invest in a functional solar refrigerators suitable for your requirements.
Size: 15 quarts – 25 quarts
The most crucial factor to consider when it comes to solar refrigerator sizing is getting a model that comes with a suitable size to satisfy your needs. A solar powered mini fridge can accommodate around 15 – 17 quarts, while bigger models at 25 quarts have larger freezing and cooling space.
Thus, you should assess carefully if the fridge is already enough for your daily food storage needs and other special occasions.
Solar-powered appliances are not solely intended for people who prefer to go for an off-the-grid lifestyle. Nowadays, many hikers and campers also rely on solar energy when they charge their electronic gadgets, cook food, and keep their food cool while away from home.
A functional solar refrigerator is purposely built with the capability to keep the cold in and keep the heat out. Hence, if the fridge is designed with thicker insulation, it can excellently maintain the temperature.
Typically, proper insulation works by cooling your foods more quickly, and the temperatures get lower and remain lower, regardless of high temperatures outdoors.
When it comes to proper insulation, 2 to 3–inch insulation is already enough to keep the foods cold even when the power runs out. Moreover, it’s advantageous to search for fluoride-free insulation materials. This way, you can have peace of mind knowing your food is kept at a safe temperature wherever your feet take you.
Portability and Ease of Use
It’s nice to know that most solar refrigerators work in a more straightforward approach. All you need to do is connect them to a power source, and they will start cooling your food. Interestingly, stationary versions are commonly a piece of cake to set up, and they often include detailed user guides.
On the other hand, portable solar refrigerators are also ideal options because they’re practical for home use and perfect for hiking, camping, and other outdoor adventures. You can also pick the best solar refrigerators designed with a broad temperature range and several power options because they make it unnecessary for you to use multiple units.
We choose solar energy fridge to save energy and protect the environment, that’s obvious. But, make sure you go for models that support various charging options in emergencies, winter days, and more.
It would be best if the refrigerator comes with AC, DC cord, and USB allowing direct charging from your vehicle.
Many upgraded solar-powered refrigerators are built with unique features such as internal lighting, instant freezing options, wireless control using a Bluetooth app, car battery protection modes, multiple power settings, etc.
How Does the Solar Fridge Work
A solar-powered fridge works similarly to a traditional refrigerator.
- Every model comes with a compressor that works by circulating a refrigerant all through the system. The compressor is also designed to put some pressure on the aeriform refrigerant, warm it up, and then propel it with the help of the condenser coils.
- The condenser is situated at the exterior portion of the base of the refrigerator. Once the refrigerant is inside the condenser, it becomes fluid. Since the refrigerant is now pressurized, it transforms into a fluid, penetrates a valve, and goes into the evaporator coils of the fridge.
- In the course of the evaporation process, the refrigerant turns back to a gas and takes in the heat from the surroundings, causing the fridge’s temperature to go down.
- When this process is done, the gas is returned to the compressor and repeated. The temperature thermostat control regulates the interior temperature of the refrigerator, which increases or decreases the temperature by switching the compressor on and off.
Solar fridges are more energy-efficient compared to conventional kitchen appliances because they don’t require more energy to sustain a low temperature; indeed, they’re designed with thicker insulation.
What Is the Most Energy-efficient Fridge for Solar Power
According to countless reviews made by consumers who have used solar refrigerators, ACOPower manufactures the most energy-efficient fridges and freezers.
This brand is famous for providing portable, reliable, and durable off-grid power solutions to the market. In addition, they manufacture various off-grid solar-powered products for boats, vehicles, camping, and other outdoor adventures.
It’s good to know that most of their solar fridge models work with a solar power system, AC and DC power.
Can a 100-watt Solar Panel Run a Refrigerator
There have been reports that you can run a refrigerator with a 100W solar panel, but this comes with limitations. In particular, you can do so in a short period only.
The truth is, it might be challenging to run a refrigerator with a 100W solar panel. This is because refrigerators need a constant power supply to maintain the cool temperature and safety of the fridge.
Please note that you should be able to run your refrigerator with solar energy if you have additional equipment and the appropriate power requirement computations.
Safety Measures for Using Solar Refrigerators
- You should monitor the fridge temperature every day or at least once every week
- Connect the to the right outlet and check for battery level to charge before it depletes
- Plugin when use, do not leave the freezer blank since it works best when at least half full
- Make sure it is leveled well on the vehicle
- Check the food if it goes bad to throw away
Are you looking for quality solar products? Continue reading for more information on the features and applications of solar atomic watches. Or useful camping products like outdoor solar showers and solar generators for cpap
At present, making the transition to solar is becoming more popular for many people. Some find it challenging, fun-filled, and practical, while some are still skeptical whether it’s an intelligent decision or not. Nevertheless, one thing is sure; we all want to reduce our expensive electric bills.
Since conventional and electric-operated refrigerators generally consume more electricity, some people opt for the best solar refrigerator. One reason for this is that these appliances are ideal for home use and many outdoor activities. They offer users plenty of perks, and they are also eco-friendly options.
Hopefully, the product reviews, shopping considerations, and FAQs posted above can assist you in your solar refrigerator selection process.
As the founder of the Avasolar team, I aspire to solve the problems for households in selecting, installing, and utilizing solar mechanical devices.